Wednesday, December 3, 2014

2013 Frustrations

Knitting and I are out of sync right now. I knitted (and darned in the ends of) Pendulum and then I discovered that I didn't care for its shape. So I frogged the entire project and reknit it as Stripe Study, a pattern I've knitted before and like.

The next disaster was Night at the Gruene, a perfectly lovely pattern whose graph I couldn't interpret. The problem is with me, not the pattern. I frogged to the shoulder decreases (I'd been making mistakes in the lace and decided I couldn't live with them), put in a lifeline, and knitted merrily along. Unfortunately, I didn't place a lifeline or markers when I started dividing for the neck, so I have to frog back to the only lifeline I have.

Then there was the Gramps problem. I didn't read the directions carefully enough, and discovered that I needed dpns. It's been sitting partially finished waiting for inspiration--which I got as I was typing this. I don't have to knit the sleeves in the round--I can knit them flat and put in a seam.

The last problem was a pattern called viajante, by one of my favorite designers. The yarn I picked--Prairie, by Madelinetosh, is a single ply yarn that, when I knit it in garter stitch, showed lots of irregular stitches. I frogged that section and redid it without there being much difference. Then I started the stockinette section. I didn't like the look of the M1R and M1L increases I was doing, so I frogged it and knit 10 rows using a lifted bar increase, which seems to be too tight. So it's back to frogging and reknitting the stockinette section with the M1R and M1L increases. I "gifted" the yarn to another friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment